Las inscripciones de Otonyo 2020-21 quedan abiertas – para inscribirse pulse aquí.
- Introducing Escuelita Hybrid, New Parent & Baby Groups, and New 11+ Group
- Term begins 12 September 2020
Dear Escuelita families,
We hope you are all doing well and enjoying a well deserved summer holiday. We have been busy since the start of lockdown, so here are the HEADLINES:
First and most importantly, AUTUMN ENROLMENT IS NOW OPEN! Follow this link to enroll.
Term begins 12 September 2020.
Secondly, we NEED PARENT VOLUNTEERS for FOREST SCHOOL and IT SUPPORT. Both roles will require minimal responsibility but will ensure that Escuelita functions at its best. If you are willing to help with either of these, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let Paola know which role you are happy to help with. Full details below.
Thirdly, we are opening up NEW GROUPS: two parent & baby/toddler groups and a group for children aged 11-14 yrs old. Please tell family and friends about these new opportunities! The parent and baby groups are open to any parent, Spanish-speaking or Spanish-learning. The group for older children is aimed at children from Spanish-speaking homes. Further details about all these exciting developments below.
While the Board has been preparing for the autumn term, our great teachers have been sharing educational resources on Facebook and exploring online education. Our students have participated in our Zoompleaños (online B-day celebration) with great enthusiasm. In short, our community is adapting to these challenging times with resilience and renewed energy. Now, the Board would like to share with you more details about the autumn term and the decisions that have kept us very busy since the start of lockdown in March.
Escuelita in the autumn will take on a new format in light of the ongoing health and safety concerns and new government requirements caused by COVID-19. Our new hybrid format – part online, part in-person – will allow us to continue to offer high-quality, small group classes that develop both the language and shared culture of our Spanish-speaking community. We hope that this new format is also robust and sustainable if/when stricter social distancing measures are re-introduced.
Autumn term details:
- Music, Science, Art, Dance and Drama: These will be taught online for one hour weekly on Saturdays during term time. Each child will experience one discipline per Saturday and groups will be limited to 6 children in order to ensure a rich and personal learning experience.
- Forest School: Each child will have two, two-hour sessions of Forest School per term. Sessions will be held in The Wild Place, Milton Country Park – a specially enclosed section of the park designated for Forest School. Children will attend Forest Schools in their groups along with one teacher and two parent volunteers. We will be implementing both social distancing and a vigilant hygiene plan.
- Fees: The cost per Saturday will be reduced to £10 and the membership fee remains £15 per child. The new cost includes a more enhanced and longer Forest School experience, while also taking into account that no materials will be provided for the shortened online art and sciences sessions. We are doing our best to keep Escuelita affordable.
- Scheduling: To allow for small online groups, two-hour Forest School sessions, and enough groups to make Escuelita viable, the traditional Escuelita schedule will need to change.
- 5 groups of 6 children each are required to make Escuelita financially viable. If not enough groups are filled, Escuelita will not be able to open in the autumn term. Enrol now!
- Due to the number of teachers available per Saturday, four online groups will run from 10:00-11:00. The fifth (and 6th+) online group will run from 11:15-12:15. Each child will only have one, one-hour session.
- Forest School will take place one Saturday per month with two sessions. The first session will be from 10:00am-12:00pm; children will need to bring their own snack. The second session will run from 12:00pm-2:00pm; children will need to bring a packed lunch.
- Due to all the considerations that need to be taken into account, all scheduling will be confirmed a week before the start of term, 5 September 2020.
- An EXAMPLE schedule can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uIxuJpHsrVK4Pe2lTqtSrbyoE3Rm4kqR/view?usp=sharing
- Semillitas con Mayi: This new parent-baby/toddler group will resume the much-loved and much-missed format of Semillitas. Sing enchanting songs with Mayi and introduce your young child to a Spanish-speaking community. Spanish-speakers and Spanish-learners welcomed! Thursdays 10:00am-11:00am online. £5 per session, limited to 15 families per session.
- Cuenta Cuentos con La Abuela Chavela: A parent-baby/toddler group featuring everyone’s favourite grandmother, La Abuela Chavela (Gabriela Garcia). La Abuela Chavela will mesmerize your child with new theatrical story-telling every week. Monday 10:00am-11:00am online. £5 per session, limited to 15 families per session.
- 11+ group: Calling all Escuelita graduates! No longer restricted by the limited space at the community centre, we can now offer an online group for 11-14 year-olds. This group will be online only. Like the groups for younger children, this group will run for one-hour on Saturdays from either 10:00am-11:00am or 11:15am-12:15am.
Enrolment is open now! Click here to enrol.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- You need to find the right Class Location for Club Enrolment – for the usual groups type Online & The Wild Place and for the new groups select Online.
- For each age group, there is more than one group (a, b, c, etc.). Within each age group, please select alphabetical order, so that group “a” fills up before group “b”.
- Example if your child is pre-reception, then they should be in a Coqui class. If “1a Coqui” still has space, please enrol in this group. If “1a Coquí” is full, then enrol in “1b Coqui”.
- Age groups
- Coquí: pre-Reception
- Capuchino Rubio: Reception
- Capuchino Silbador: Year 1 & Year 2
- Condor: Year 3, 4, 5, & 6
- If you have a credit with Escuelita from last term this will automatically be discounted from your autumn tuition when you re-enrol.
- If you have IT questions about the Club Enrolment webpage, i.e. the webpage is not responding, then please contact email@example.com
- If you have finance questions, e.g. has your payment gone through, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Please be aware that over the summer holidays response times will be delayed.
- Forest School volunteers: Two parent volunteers per group are needed for Forest School. Volunteers will be able to social distance and have minimum responsibilities. Mainly volunteers will need to monitor the entrance/exit of The Wild Place to ensure safety while the session takes place. This is an opportunity to be outside with a cup of coffee and have a good chat with a fellow Escuelita parent! If you have any questions email Paola at email@example.com
- IT volunteers: We are also looking for IT volunteers. The IT volunteers just need to be on-call in the rare case that a teacher is having technical difficulties during her online session. Our online sessions will use the platform Google Classroom. If you have any questions please email Gabriel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lastly, THANK YOU for your ongoing support. We look forward to welcoming you back in September and sharing another wonderful term of learning, language, and culture with your family.
Escuelita CIC Board of Directors